Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Places I Have Lived

For the past 3-4 years, I have been moving around and living in a couple different countries. Of course, I was borned in Kelantan State, lived for 10 years in a small town called Kuala Krai which is 1 and half hours drive away from Kota Bharu, the capital city of the state. Life is usually more laid back, nearer to nature and not very developed. However, those are actually stories of 10 years ago. Recently, the small town has it's 1st fast food outlet - KFC and also a global chain convinient store - 7 Eleven. The small town has been slowly developing, which i think it's good because this would raise the standard of living of the town. As far as i know, the standard of living of the east coast of Penisula island (Malaysia) is still far less as compared to the west coast(where Kuala Lumpur is situated).

I moved to Kuala Lumpur when I was 10. There are a lot of stuff, a lot of excitement, .. because at that time, it was the most developed city in whole Malaysia. Not to mentioned right now, Kuala Lumpur is famous as the capital city of Malaysia, but it is also the place of 2 Malaysia's icon - KL Tower and Petronas Twin Tower.
I remembered when Dr M- our 4th Prime Minister announced the huge project of building Twin Tower, many people disagree to it because of the cost of the project and questioned what is the purpose of the building. However, at least in my opinion, it kindda proved the purpose of the construction. 1st, it served as a commerical center of the city and an important icon that stood up. This really boosted the status of the country in the world. I was surprised many people in the States actually recognize the country because of the building.

Switzerland- I used to live 1 and half years for my hotel mangement course. It's a neutral country- very peaceful and laid back. 3 words to decribe Switzerland - beautiful, natural and breath-taking.
During Summer time, the flowers are gorgeous. During Winter, though the weather is drop death freezing, but it is worth to see the snow especially a spectacular view of the snowy mountain as well as feeling it. I remembered School work was stressing me up so much, but the quiet and beautiful enviroment kindda balanced it - ended up that I was still stress but lesser. Haha. Not least to mention! They have super good chocolates and dairy products! Chocolates are not expensive at all and it's widely sold in supermarkets. ( Coop, Migros, Denner are the main chains) Breads are super delicous and it is freshly baked everyday.

After graduating from Switzerland, I have gotten an internship offer from an American based chain hotel in U.S. After some discussion with parents, I had decided to embark my journey to Atlanta for my one year internship. It was a lot of fun, a lot of freedom and also this is the first time i felt i was living completely by my own( at least in school you lived in school hostel). I have to absorb a completely new working environment, place and also culture. To me, America is like a country of convinient? Maybe i lived in the city so it gives me this impression. Fast food is everywhere over Atlanta city. Shopping online , online banking.. is safe. You can basically pay your bills online but with a % of convinient fee. Pre-made pizza, pre-made soup stock, pre-made frozen dinners are widely sold in supermarkets for those who doesn't cook and don't have time to cook.

Of course, I do miss some of the places I have once lived. But.. home is home. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment